For a while now the dragon family have been trying to do their bit towards saving the environment from the tons of plastic that seems to be in everyday use. It is super easy now to recycle paper, card and most of the card packaging that comes when you buy something new. But how can you save your corner of the world from plastics?
I started with reusable shopping bags, and returning plastic bags to the collection points in supermarkets. I found a local Facebook selling page to pass on unwanted jiffy bags as well as the clothes the boy has grown out of. Freecycle is another great website for sharing items that you may have thought you would have had to dump. Our best one was getting rid of an old summerhouse. The person wanted it for a dog kennel. They removed it and saved us lots of dump trips!
It can be harder to find a way to cut down on the single use plastics in everyday use. I am determined that we are going to do our bit and have started to save all my plastic packaging for Ecobricks. This comes from all sorts of places. The fruit and vegetable bags and lunchbox snacks, wrapping around new goods and sometimes even bags that new clothes arrive in.
Toothbrushes are one of the plastic objects I had not really thought about, until I came across the BlueRock website. I reuse most of my families toothbrushes as cleaning aids, they are great for the difficult to reach bits in the kitchen and bathroom. However it is still great to think I am saving one more plastic item from landfill.
BlueRock sent me a pack of three adult bamboo brushes from their bamboo toothbrush subscription service. I love the idea that I can simply set up an order to suit each family member and the brushes arrive through my letterbox. Of course all the packaging is recyclable, and the brushes themselves being made from bamboo means they are as environmentally friendly and as sustainable as possible.
BlueRock have really thought about how to provide a service for their customers and brushes cost as little as £3.50 depending on quantity ordered. We like that our brushes were different colours so no getting mixed up in the bathroom. I also like that 10p from the sale of each brush goes towards marine conservation. I think most people saw Blue Planet on the TV last year and will want to consider replacing plastic products with more environmental alternatives.
I also like to give charities any unwanted gifts as I know these often raise them much needed funds. Toys and household items can go to charity shops, and our local scouts will take rag to raise funds. Most tips will also take shoes, old clothes and bedding to be recycled.
My next recycling project is going to be saving crisp packets and returning them to Walkers for recycling into useful objects. So what will you be doing in 2019 to try and cut down on your plastic waste?
Would you like the chance to win a years subscription to Blue Rock and do your bit towards reducing single use plastics? Then enter my giveaway with the Gleam app below:Blue Rock Subscription
Disclaimer, I was sent a family pack of Blue Planet Toothbrushes to try. The words remain my own and have not been altered. #Review #NotPaid
Terms & Conditions:
The giveaway is open to the UK only
- It is mandatory to leave a comment in the post comment section answering the question specified. Other tasks completed will gain additional entries. The winner will be checked to make sure they have both left a comment and completed the task for the winning entry.
- Winner will be drawn randomly after the competition closes at 23:59 on Sunday 31st March 2019.
- The winner will be sent an e-mail to the address left at time of entry. The winner will need to reply to the e-mail within 7 days of the notification. Every effort will be made to contact the winner, but if no response is made within the 7 days a new winner will be chosen.
- The prize details are stated at the top of the giveaway, and may be subject to change if they become unavailable.
- The prize will be posted by the promoter, unfortunately I cannot be held responsible or replace missing parcels. Please contact me if there is a problem.
- Please allow 28 days from notification for your prize to be sent out.
- This competition is listed at: Win competitions at ThePrizeFinder.com and SuperLucky